Saturday, March 7, 2009

Our First Outing





Today we had our first outing at the National Palace Museum, which has thousands of pieces of ancient Chinese artifacts, the oldest dating back to over five thousand years. We brought along Jason's new little umbrella stroller and alternated between using that, carrying him, and walking with him. He was just a dream. Our only bad moment came when I needed to change his diaper. I took him to the restroom and put him on the diaper changing table with my own matt underneath him, and he started to cry. He looked scared like he had never been on one of these before. These were his first real tears and I was so sad, but didn't know what else to do because there really wasn't anywhere else to change him, and I wasn't about to use the floor! We got through it and I held and comforted him. Then I flipped the diaper changing table back up and a huge roach fell out of it!!!! It must have been there in the cracks while I was changing him. And hilariously enough (and I am not making this up!) the thing followed us out the bathroom door!!!!!!!

We found a restaurant at the museum and at the end of the meal we told the waitress that we had just picked Jason up yesterday. She asked us a few questions and when she finally understood that we were from America and were taking him back with us she said, "Oh, thank you!" I was so touched. We had been wondering what the people in Taipei must think of us adopting from there, and while I'm sure that one person's opinion is not necessarily indicative of the entire population, it was encouraging to me.

Back at the hotel we had been walking down the hallway near our rooms and I suddenly had to go back for something and went around the corner where Jason couldn't see me. Apparently, he didn't see which way I had gone
and was trying to look under one of the other hotel room doors for me.

I was finally able to get him on camera in his talkative mode. I had to be a bit sneaky because every other time I've tried to get in on film, of course he quit performing!

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Precious...the video and the story of you and Jason...just precious! LOVE the red sleeper and it sounds like he is just a dream!

We found the people of Taiwan to be friendly and open regarding our adoption as well....and you are right, it is peace of mind!

You look so happy!! Yay!
Cockroaches??? Ahhhhhhhggggggg! Argh!
HUGS :)

couey2007 said...

I have loved following along...Keep posting!!!

Michelle C, AL (JOH)

Tara said...

I'm no speech therapist, but doesn't it seem amazing that he is quick to copy sounds so precisely, and to move his mouth carefully to create those sounds? Wonderful to see him connecting with you through sounds.
Tara

Anonymous said...

We love the video - he is SO cute! Happy to hear the first outing went well, too. Sorry about the creepy cockroach - yuck !

Looking forward seeing/hearing more,

Love,
Keith, Denise, and kids

QingLu Mama said...

Oh my! He is absolutly adorable! I love the video and his little uh-ohs, what a sweet little boy! And the way he just fits with you and snuggles up in the photos of you holding him...so amazing! He sounds like he is doing just wonderful, and it sound like you are too! I am thrilled to follow along on your journey, thanks for sharing!
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Those little red pajamas with the trap door are beyond cute!

It's so wonderful that you're finally together afer all the waiting. And what a great transition the two of you are having! I can't wait to hear about his first meeting with the rest of your family.

- Johnna

Tish said...

he is sooo handsome!

eieio