Thursday, March 5, 2009

A bitter-sweet day before meeting our son






It has been a very lovely day here in Taiwan. Tomorrow is the day I have been waiting for all of these months and I am so joyful and excited to meet our son. Sadly, it has also been a very emotional day for me because our dog, Cookie, who I thought was going to pull through an attack from a coyote, is apparently going to have to be put down after all. I have cried my eyes out feeling so much guilt for having let her out alone on the day of my departure and so much sadness at the fact that after five years, she won't be there when I return home.

Now it's time to leave those sad feelings behind, though, and to prepare for this incredibly special day tomorrow. If one good thing has come of this loss, it has made me realize in just a very small, small way what Jason will have to go through and what he has gone through with the loss of his birth-mom and now his foster mom.

Fion is picking us up at 8:40am to leave for Taichung, which is a two hour drive away. The agency has asked the foster mom to bring Jason to the agency because they feel that it will be too hard for him to be taken away from his foster mom's home. I am disappointed that we won't be able to see where he has lived for all of these months, but I definitely want this transition to be as smooth as possible for Jason. Also, I have been told that the birthmom doesn't want to meet me at this time. There is a possibility that she could change her mind, but it doesn't look very likely at this point.

So, a bit about our first day. The flight on Eva airlines was very nice and seemed to go much more quickly than I had anticipated. Fion picked us up at the airport and then took us to the hotel, the Howard Plaza, to check in. Then she took us to a huge souvenir store for some shopping. Unfortunately, I was just starving at that point and could not set my mind to picking out things. After a while we met Fion in the lobby empty-handed and she looked at us with unbelief! Apparently we had missed the downstairs portion of the shop, so we went back and found some fun things there.

We were going to continue on to Chaing Kai-Shek Memorial Hall but we told Fion that we had to eat something first. It was too early for the restaurants to be open, so she pulled over in front of a dumpling stand (I'll add a picture of it) and bought us some dumplings, which were quite tasty! We then carried on to the Memorial, which was beautiful.

Most of the afternoon was spent trying to figure out why my calling card wouldn't work so that I could call home, and then dealing with the news that I had received via email about our dog. We did, however find time to try out the hotel lounge downstairs in the hotel. I discovered my new favorite drink there, the Singapore Sling, or something like that.

Finally, we walked the town and explored a department stores and a few other shops, and ended up at a very popular dumpling restaurant called, ""DIN TAI FUNG", which was really good! We took a cab home, which was quite an experience! Apparently pedestrians DON'T have the right-of-way here. It has been amazing to see all of the scooters and even more so, all of the people that wear mask (like a doctor's mask) to keep from breathing the pollution. My one complaint is that I haven't been able to find "bubble tea" anywhere!

Tomorrow is the big day. I have envisioned it so many times that I can't believe that it is finally going to happen. I just pray that it will be a good day for Jason, and not too tramatic for him.

*****Quick Update!!!*****

I just received news via email from my husband that he took our dog to our regular vet vs. the emergency clinic where she has been, and they really felt that Cookie could heal well given rest at home with medication. Needless to say, my heart is lighter, and I am so thrilled to know that if all goes well with her recovery, she will be there to greet me with Jason back at home!!!!

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Try the front desk at your hotel and ask them to recommend a place nearby where you can find boba tea. I loooooved Din Tai Fung as well. Yummy yummy!

QingLu Mama said...

Oh Lora, I am so sorry to hear about Cookie. It must be so hard to deal with, both being away and being during a time so full of joy. You are in my thoughts.
But tomorrow is a very specail day and I am so happy for you that it has finally come! I hope the day goes well for all of you!
Please keep us posted ~whenever you can~ can't wait to see pics!
Jennifer

Unknown said...

I have been dying to hear how things are going! Glad to hear you guys are getting around. Also, I am so happy that things look to be okay with Cookie. I'll give the kids a call to see how they are doing. Love you and we will be thinking about you all day tomorrow.

Mark & Kris said...

Lora, so glad you are there and we can't wait to hear about Jason. We will be praying for him to have an peaceful transition. Glad to hear about Cookie, too. We put our dog 1 1/2 years ago and it is hard, no doubt! Hope she heals well!

Lisa said...

Lora,
So happy that your dog will be ok. It is not every day that we hear about a dog being bit by a coyote here in New York. I cant wait to see your post tomorrow about meeting your precious son.
LOL
Lisa R

Staci said...

So sorry to hear about Cookie,I hope your doggie gets better real fast!

I can't believe you are sooo close to meeting Jason! Praying that he will have a smooth transition. Can't wait to see pictures!!

Hugs,
Staci

Missy said...

I hope Cookie heals quickly! Good luck picking up Jason. I hope it is a nice smooth transaction for the both of you. I can't wait to see pictures :)

Lisa said...

Oh Lora, I cried reading this post! First for Cookie...., then out of joy knowing that tomorrow is THE day you are united with your beautiful son....then, for the grand news that Cookie is healing (yay!) Okay, then I jumped up & down a bit cuz I love this post and reading it brought back such a flood of emotions and memories for me!

Now I'm exhausted....lol...but in the bestest of ways!! :) You have a knack for words my friend and I loved seeing the photo of you in front of the Memorial!

Thinking of you.....praying for a peaceful transition for your sweet boy!

HUGS!!

Sarah k said...

OH YES!!!! I am so glad that your doggy is going to be ok!!!!!!!!!!!
What a way to finish a post. That is awesome news. So it is a little late here, like almost 10:30 there in Taiwan so you should be with Jason now... WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you to finally be there with him and learning him! Congratulations hon and I will be back to check for new pictures....

Sarah k
Taiwankiddo2.blogspot.com
Taiwanindependentadoptionprizes.blogspot.com

Casey said...

I am praying so hard for your dog!!! I am a dog fanatic...we have 2...and I love them so much. Please keep us posted on your dog!!!
I'm so excited that tomorrow is the big day. I will be thinking of you tonight. Hugs to you.

Casey

Jenny Moon said...

Hi Lora,

I just talked to Brian this morning about you, so here I was reading your Taiwan trip journey. It makes me miss Taiwan even more, well, but not the cockroaches part.
Besides, as I learned more about your adoption progress each time, which make me appreciate life more. You are a loving and amazing person and so are the rest of your family. I'm really glad for Jason to find you from this far.

By the way, I hope you are still in Taichung. There are a lot more bubble tea shops in Taichung. Hope you get to enjoy them all.
Jenny,

eieio