Thursday, November 6, 2008

Good News and Not So Good News

We have been anticipating an email from Tien letting us know when our Hearing date would be. She finally emailed today and said that our court hearing is for December 23rd. I'll have to say that I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't sooner. She said that The birthmother will express her adoption decision to the judge at this hearing. At that point it will take about 1-3 months for the judge to issue a "First Ruling". This means that any time up to the first ruling, the birthmother may change her mind.

She also informed us that Pin-Hao has been recently diagnosed with a condition called G-6-P-D. I have only done a bit of research on it at this point, but it looks like it is a hereditary disease in which there are abnormally low levels of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase. These G6PD protect red blood cells and without them Hemolytic anemia can occur. Children with this may have anemic like symptoms if they consume fava (or broad) beans. They also have to avoid certain antibiotics and pain killers.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Yay, your comment section is back! I have missed it! :)
YES, buying for our little men does help to make them seem a bit closer...it seems like one thing we can actually do!
Wanted you to know that everytime I spot something Mickey I think of you and your sweet little man! This wait is tough, huh? I'm so glad to be able to share it even a little bit with you!! ( Though I hope we both don't have much longer to go!!)
Happy weekend!
Let's hope those udpates come Monday! :)
Lisa C.

Lisa said...

Oh gosh, I know I had responded to your news on the board, but then neglected to even comment on here....I'm so sorry! You know I'm hoping all the medical comes back just fine and I'm so glad others on the board could offer some insight into the condition.
Also, wonderful news about your hearing....I know it seems so far off...but Dec. will fly and I do believe things will move quickly for you after that!!
I'll be thinking of you for sure!!
Me again! :)

Tisra said...

Do you know Sarah k.? I think her newest son, still in taiwan, has that disorder. If you're wanting support/ talk/ information.
Tisra
waiting for referral
http://lifetrain.bogspot.com
www.tisrafadelyoriginals.etsy.com

Just Us said...

Congratulations on your referral. I'm sorry to hear about the hearing date in late December, but as you know from the boards, the timing all seems to work itself out to about the same no matter when the hearing date is. Hang in there and here's to a speedy hearing and ruling. By the way, sorry to hear about his disorder. It is a good thing you know in advance so you folks can do research and make sure he receives the best care and treatment.

Take Care.

Nicole said...

Hey, I'm sorry about your news . . but hey, he'll be in good hands with your family! He's a very lucky boy! I'm sure he'll be fine-he's really TOOO cute! :)
Looking forward to updates soon!
nicole

eieio